Instant Money Order (iMO): An India Post Money Transfer Service that is Quick, Safe and Reliable!
What is Instant Money Order?
Instant Money Order (iMO) is one of several financial services offered by India Post to residents of India. It allows the instantaneous on-line transfer of money between two resident individuals within India. It is a web based transfer service offered through iMO Post Offices or Centres that are spread out across India. You can send or receive money from a minimum of Rs. 1,000 to a maximum of Rs. 50,000 through this service. The money booked through iMO can be disbursed the next minute.
How it works?
- The sender of the money has to go to an iMO Post Office Centre, fill the “To Remit Payment(TRP-1) Form” and submit it to the counter clerk for booking, along with the money
- On booking the iMO, the sender will receive a receipt with a sealed computer generated 16 digit iMO number that is completely confidential. It is accessible only by the sender. Even the Counter clerk will not know the 16 digit number!
- The sender has to tear off the seal and convey the 16 digit iMO number to the receiver. This can be done via SMS, E-mail or over the phone etc.
- The receiver has to visit the designated iMO Post Office Centre and fill “To Make Payment (TMP-1) Form”.
- Next, the receiver submits the 16 digit number along with a copy of the personal photo identity proof.
- The receiver can get the money in the form of cash or it can be received in his post office saving bank account in the same iMO Centre.
What makes iMO so special and important?
This money transfer service is important as it allows Indians to send and receive money instantly through an on-line transfer. The process is reliable and safe with the 16 digit iMO number offering both safety and confidentiality. What’s more, the process is uncomplicated and simple without lengthy procedures to be followed or too many complicated forms to be filled.
As a value-addition, the sender can also choose from a list of standard messages. The message is delivered to the receiver along with the money. The list of messages includes an entire range of congratulatory messages, greetings and wishes for a variety of occasions such as birthdays, weddings and an assortment of festivals.
Another great advantage of this service is that India Post has made the service affordable.
While detailed information on the tariff payable for using this service for different slabs of money transfer is available on http://www.indiapost.gov.in/IMOS.aspx, the table below gives you a good idea of how affordable it is.
|Remittance||Commission in Rs.|
This facility from India Post is a boon for tourists, students, businessmen and other travelers who may require money on the move. The huge network of iMO Post Offices dotting the country makes it truly accessible and convenient. The speed and safety involved in the money transfer process truly makes it a product relevant to our times.